Bodies of 1000 Muslims believed to have been slaughtered in the Srebrenica massacre have been uncovered near Kamenica in eastern Bosnia:
Sarejevo, 17 August (AKI) – Forensic experts have excavatedÂ over 1,000 bodies from a mass grave in the village of Kamenica in eastern Bosnia, believed to be some of the 8,000 local Muslim civilians murdered by Serbian forces near the town of Srebrenica in 1995, regional chief of Bosnia’s commission for missing persons, Murat Hurtic, said on Thursday. “Kamenica is the biggest single mass grave discovered so far,” he stated.
The victims had clearly been brought from another location and reburied in Kamenica, and in an attempt to hide the crime, said Hurtic. A total 1,153 bodies have been excavated since digging began at the start of June, Hurtic said.
Documents found at the site suggested that the victims were a part of some 8,000 Muslim men and boys killed in July 1995 by the Bosnian Serb forces when they overran the nearby town of Srebrenica at the end of Bosnia’s 1992-1995 civil war.
A total of 3,500 Srebrenica victims have been excavated so far and 2,500 were identified.